Eisbein & Split Pea Soup
- In a large pot heat the olive oil and fry the garlic, onion and carrot over medium heat for about five minutes.
- Make incisions in the fatty layer around the eisbein and put the shanks into the pot.
- Add in the potatoes, chicken stock, hot water, dried split peas, dried tarragon and parsley.
- Bring to the boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until the peas are soft. Then remove the two pork shanks from the soup and set aside.
- Add the processed peas and the creme fraiche to the soup.
- Now you can leave the soup chunky as is, or you can coarsely mash it, using a potato masher. Add the seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Slice the excess fat off the pork shanks, cut them into chunks and add them to the soup. Serve the soup piping hot with fresh crusty bread and a glass of dry sherry.