Ham & Chickpea Stew
- Place bacon, pork shank, beef, onion, green pepper, tomato, garlic, chillis and bay leaf in a 3 1/2 litre saucepan or soup pot. Cover with water 2 inches above ingredients. Bring to a rapid boil; skim several times. Lower the heat to moderate, cover, and place saffron on the cover to toast.
- Cook for about an hour. Add the chickpeas and saffron and bring to a boil again. Cover and reduce heat to moderate; cook for another 30 minutes. By this time, the meats should be tender.
- Remove the meats to a heated platter and reserve.
- Discard pork shank bone and remainder of onion, green pepper, tomato and bay leaf. Add potatoes, to the chickpeas and season with salt.
- Cover and cook over moderate heat until potatoes are done, about 30 minutes.
- Cut beef into small portions and return meats to the stew.
- Heat thoroughly and serve hot.