Winter Sausage Casserole
- Turn the oven to 180°C. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based oven proof casserole pot or dish.
- Lightly brown and turn the sausages on all sides, over a medium high heat. This browing will give good colour to the dish. Remove the sausages from the casserole pot and set them aside to prepare the vegetables.
- Add the chopped onion to the casserole pot and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, until the onion is soft. Add the garlic, paprika and thyme and cook for a further minute.
- Add the chopped potatoes, carrots and celery and stir everything around in the casserole pot so all the vegetables are coated and mixed. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable stock and bay leaves. Season and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the browned sausages back to the pot.
- Place the casserole into the oven. Cook for 40-60 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through. Serve hot.